Friday, December 29, 2006

Best of 2006

As a relative fragrance newbie, I am anxious about creating a "Best of 2006" list; I've spent most of the past year trying to catch up with the previous century or so of modern perfumery. Most of the scents I enjoyed this year are not new, but new to me. My impression was that the mainstream releases were particularly boring this year, and so, while I wouldn't wear most of them regularly, I'd like to single out for praise the few who swam against the tide in this category: Donna Karan Gold, Guerlain Insolence and Prada Man for women, Burberry London for Men, Terre d'Hermes and Polo Double Black for the hommes. In the already rather crowded comfort scent category (not my favourite), I thought Kenzo Amour, Jo Malone Blue Agava & Cacao and, well, okay, yes L de Lolita Lempicka were well done. The situation in the niches was considerably better: Andy Tauer's Lonestar Memories, L'Artisan Fou d'Absinthe, Le Labo Rose 31 and Serge Lutens Mandarine-Mandarin were the releases I tried that I enjoyed the most. As for scented product market, my favourite was Tom Ford's Azurée The Body Oil Spray for Estée Lauder. In the category of scents that seemed to take a long time to get to Western Canada, the winners are Kenzo Flower Oriental and Dior Homme's Eau Noire. This weekend I will be doing a list of my all-time favourites, many of which I discovered this year.

2 Comments:

At 1:11 p.m., Blogger marchlion said...

Wow. I keep forgetting to comment but, once again, with the exception of one or two scents, you and I have very similar tastes. Or, put another way: you have excellent taste! :-)

 
At 11:02 a.m., Blogger Erin said...

March: Well, I believe you suggested Double Black, which I *never* would have sampled without a recommendation. I think it may have been you and Ina that convinced me on L too, since the first time I tried it I found it unbearably sweet. My husband did too, but he loves the drydown and I have to admit that the immortelle is more prominent than I remembered. I have noticed our similar taste, and so take it as a personal offense when you like something I don't - so watch out! (Kidding...)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home