Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Letters from the Front

Not only is this going to be short, it's going to be typed on an international-style keyboard, so it's going to be riddled with mistakes. Did my Paris perfume dash today and only missed Caron (which the Breadwinner says we can visit tomorrow). I bought my promised bell-jar of ChĂȘne - which seems smaller and cuter than I pictured it - as well as a Nicolai Pour Homme in 30 ml (God bless that sensible company) and an 11 Euro Crazylibelulle and the Poppies Ginger and Coconut at the drugstore. I think I'll go back to buy a Bigarade Concentree at Frederic Malle tomorrow so all you JCE fans can laugh at me now. Chanel was a highlight: I love 31 Rue Cambon, especially, and Coromandel, once the top notes settle. The No. 18 is truly intriguing and going to take a while for me sort out - I kind of catch a whiff of a beautiful rose/iris blend but mostly I get, well, pickle. And if you want pickle, I'd recommend JAR Shadow, which the devastatingly suave Joseph allowed me to try. (My other surprise favourite was Ferme Tes Yeux.)

At Serge Lutens, I enjoyed and tested Cuir Mauresque, but the one that crept up on me was MKK, which didn't smell like much on the old, dried-out tester strip the SA insisted on giving me, but smelled WONDERFUL when I snuck some onto a new strip: sweeter than I thought, comforting, indeed somewhat like Chene and not at all like sweaty feet. No chance to try it on the skin, but I got wax samples. As for the exports I had not tried, I must be contrary, because I liked both the buttery Rousse and the woody Chypre Rouge. (The latter I had tested in Sephora, and the Breadwinner pronounced it the best of the seven thousand tester strips I was carrying.)

I don't think I'm going to get anything from Guerlain, but the store is wonderful and they win the award for best SA: thanks Julia! Really what I want is the limited edition Chant D'Arome extrait, and I don't think I'll be taking it home for 245 Euro an once.

9 Comments:

At 12:56 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for adventures! Yay for contrariness!

You're making me sweat with anticipation for Rousse's arrival in the UK. When my decant ran out, I knew I needed a bottle.

Keep on keeping on! And thanks for your missive from the fragrant front!

 
At 3:47 p.m., Blogger Erin said...

Thanks Leo! Glad you're in the Rousse enjoying camp - we're judged by the company we keep after all. Hope to add another missive soon - bought Bigarade Concentree today as well as Poussierre de Rose (de Rosine) and got lots of samples. Those chanels are deadly - tried them yet?

 
At 5:09 a.m., Blogger chayaruchama said...

Didn't you just buy two of my favorites...very different from one another, no ?

I'm SO glad you're having a blast.
SHAME on Guerlain for gouging THAT much for the Chant...
[It IS pretty, though !]

Enjoy !
MWAH !

 
At 7:06 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bigarde Concentree - love it. Nearly out of my decant. And Poussierre I've only got to sniff recently - it has to be one of my favourite Rosines - related to SL's Bois series (like they had progeny with Rose de Nuit...)

I'm still working on a Chanel - I think it's a house I often don't quite get (my fault, not theirs...)

 
At 6:23 a.m., Blogger marchlion said...

Oh, that sounds WONDERFUL! Thanks for the sniffage report!

Suddenly I have an attack of hunger for French food, reading this (which is odd) -- how's that end of the trip going, along with bebe?

 
At 1:25 p.m., Blogger Erin said...

Chaya: That is very odd. Clearly the only thing they have in common is that they are appreciated by people of good taste!

I'd love to have that Chant - I'd really like to try the vintage from Dragonflyscentme (Diane?). Keep me away from eBay.

Thanks!

 
At 1:32 p.m., Blogger Erin said...

March: You were soooo right about the macaroons. You see, in Canada, we call these sad little cookies made from shredded coconut "macaroons" and when I got to France was shocked to see the differences between these dry cocoa turds and the real thing. Still, I wasted precious days thinking: "But they look plain and dry." Then I had some at the Bon Marche - gingerbread ones - and I ate them everywhere for the remaining seven days. Also crepes.

 
At 12:59 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhh the guerlain shop. Yes: This is beautiful. When I read your lines I immediately want to go there again. And be it just to feel these years of perfume history...
Enjoy your time there!

 
At 11:25 p.m., Blogger Erin said...

Andy, so glad to see you here - I am honoured! I hope to do a review of L'air, one of my faves, soon, after Frederic Malle week is done. And of course I eagerly await reverie au jardin.

Yes, the Guerlain store is wonderful. I was overwhelmed when I was there and am now regretting not buying a few things.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home